Tailings management is critical to the efficient operation of a modern mine and processing plant. A properly selected and efficiently operated tailings management system maximises plant throughput and mine life. It is essential the required volumes and characteristics of process water are produced. Additionally the tailings slurries generated should not exceed or conflict with environmental approvals. An inappropriately selected or sub-optimally operated system negatively impacts on mine production, viability and life of mine. It also leads to excessive consumption of:
- Human resources;
- Water; and
- Rejects voidage.
QPS Consulting Services
QPS staff and associates are able to provide a range of tailings management services; for operating plants as well as for 'greenfield' and 'brownfield' projects.
- Tailings treatment process selection;
- Implications for tailings storage facility (TSF) design and management;
- Tailings reagent testwork and selection; and
- Management of equipment and chemical suppliers.
Operating Plants and Brownfield Projects
Design, selection, evaluation, optimisation and troubleshooting of:
- Major tailings processing hardware at the processing plant and TSF;
- Process control systems;
- Chemical reagent programs:
- Thickener flocculant solution dosing spears;
- Chemical makeup, storage, dosing and dilution systems;
- Filtration aids;
- Secondary flocculation;
- Performance surveys and benchmarking; and
- Operator training.